Select a training topic, and develop a training needs analysis and learning objectives as part of your initial training and development program design.
For this assessment, you will create the initial design of your training and development program for an organization of your choice, including the selection of a training topic, developing a working needs analysis, and identifying learning objectives.
Note: The assessments in this course build upon each other to form a training and development program, so you are strongly encouraged to complete them in sequence.
What trainees take away from a training and development program depends on three critical components:
- The trainee’s characteristics: how they learn, what they already know, and their motivation to learn the material being presented.
- The training design: the program itself.
- The work environment.
Since workplace training deals with adults, being well versed on how adults learn is key. There are many theories on adult learning, and they come from a variety of sources including psychology, education, and sociology. Another focus in your program design should be on learning styles. We learn in different ways—some of us listen and some take notes for example—and trainees will learn best when they know the objectives of the program. The outcomes of learning are wide-ranging, including verbal, intellectual, and motor skills, as well as cognitive strategies. To transfer what is learned in the training environment to the job environment, the training needs to be authentic—as real and identical to life and as meaningful (useful) to the trainee as possible.
In preparation for this assessment, you are to select an organization to use as the one receiving a new training and development program. (Note: The organization can be real or fictitious.) Consider the needs of the organization to select a training topic, or you may use the Capella library to research training topics.
For this assessment complete the following:
- Create a training scenario for your training topic. Consider the following for your scenario:
- Describe the training topic in general terms (such as improving communications or safety awareness).
- Why is this training needed?
- Assess the strategic impact of the training topic on the organization. (Think in terms of the long term impact of the training program.)
- Develop a training needs analysis (TNA) for your topic. (Note: For the purposes of this assessment, you are not expected to actually conduct the TNA. Instead, research your topic using the Capella Library, the Internet, or in meeting with subject matter experts (SMEs) to determine what you want trainees to learn and create the information as if it is based on a TNA.) Consider the following in your analysis:
- Identify what the trainees know or what they can do before the training.
- Identify what the trainees should know or be able to do after they have completed the training and development program.
- Summarize the results of your research or provide a set of the questions you would ask SMEs if you were to meet with them.
- Develop 3–5 specific training objectives for your training topic. (Hint: Using Bloom’s Taxonomy, create your objectives based on what you have determined the trainees should know, or be able to do, after attending the training program.)
- How would a distance learning module enhance a trainee’s learning experience?
- Written communication: Written communication is in a professional style with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to current APA style.
- Headings: Incorporate level headings according to current APA style.
- Length: A typical response should be 4-6 typed, double-spaced pages.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
- References: Use at least two references.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Assess an organization’s strategic plan for training.
- Assess the strategic impact of the training topic on an organization.
- Competency 2: Demonstrate effective training program design, development, and implementation.
- Develop a training needs analysis for the topic.
- Develop learning objectives for the training and development program.
- Competency 4: Assess the impact of technology on an organization’s training strategy.
- Assess how a distance learning module enhances a trainee’s learning experience.